Court agrees to review decision to reopen 'Serial' caseJuly 12, 2018 9:24pm

BALTIMORE (AP) — Maryland's highest court has agreed to review a decision to reopen a high-profile case for a man whose murder conviction was chronicled in the hit podcast "Serial," according to an order issued Thursday.

Earlier this year, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals ordered a new trial for Adnan Syed, upholding a 2016 lower court ruling. But the state's top court has now agreed to consider whether Syed's murder conviction should actually be reinstated.

Arguments in the case are scheduled to be heard in the court's December session, according to court documents. It's far from clear when a decision might come.

Syed was convicted in 2000 of strangling 17-year-old Hae Min Lee and burying her body in a Baltimore park. He was sentenced to life in prison for the slaying.

But more than a decade later, he became a sort of cause celebre due to the hugely popular "Serial" podcast, which debuted in 2014 with the entirety of its first season dedicated to the long-running case. The show attracted millions of listeners and shattered podcast-streaming and downloading records.

"Serial" revealed little-known evidence and a loyal army of listeners often acted as armchair detectives, raising new questions about the case and whether Syed was indeed guilty.

Roughly two years later, a lower-court judge vacated Syed's conviction. Prosecutors appealed to Maryland's intermediate appeals court, which granted a new trial.

Syed's brother, Yusef, said the family hadn't yet heard about the latest court order. But he said the family remained hopeful when a reporter informed him about it.

"We believe that Adnan will come out and the truth will come," Yusef Syed said in a brief phone interview.

Rabia Chaudry, a family friend and staunch supporter of Syed's who brought his case to the attention of the host of "Serial" and also wrote the 2016 book "Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice after Serial," said she was "deeply disappointed" by the Thursday court order.

"We've been fighting to get him a new trial for nearly 20 years now. We've won the last two appeals; the courts have overturned his conviction twice. And yet the state keeps throwing tax dollars and wasting its time, his life, his parents' lives," Chaudry said. "And so now we're looking at like another year of appeals."

In its March ruling ordering a new trial for Syed, the appeals court found that his trial lawyer was ineffective for failing to investigate and contact Asia McClain, a potential alibi witness who said she saw Syed at a public library in Woodlawn, Maryland, around the time the state claimed Syed killed Hae.

Raquel Coombs, a spokeswoman for Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh, said the court on Thursday granted the state the opportunity to make its case that Syed's trial lawyer, the late Cristina Gutierrez, was not ineffective. She said it also granted Syed's legal team the chance to make its arguments regarding key cellphone evidence.

___

Follow McFadden on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dmcfadd

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this July 5, 206 file photo, protestors gather near the Triple S Food Mart after Alton Sterling was shot and killed by Baton Rouge Police in the early hours of Tuesday morning  in Baton Rouge, La.   Baton Rouge prosecutors have ruled out criminal charges against several people who are suing over their arrests at protests after a deadly 2016 police shooting in Louisiana's capital. A court filing shows the district attorney's office notified plaintiff's attorneys on Wednesday, July 12, 2018,  that it won't prosecute five protesters and two journalists who were arrested on misdemeanor charges.  (Hilary Scheinuk/The Advocate via AP)   /The Advocate via AP)
Charges ruled out against arrested protesters, journalists
California man sentenced for bondage sex rapes, murderA Southern California man who raped four unconscious women during bondage sex and killed one of them has been sentenced to 286 years to life in prison
Woman convicted of murder in death of boyfriend's infant sonA jury has convicted an Ohio woman who prosecutors say shook her boyfriend's 7-month-old son so violently that he died from brain trauma
Prosecutors seek jail mail of newspaper shooting suspectMaryland prosecutors want copies of all mail to and from Jarrod Ramos, jailed in the shootings of five Capital Gazette employees. A public defender says that would violate his rights.
Judge dismisses suit filed by family of man killed by policeA judge's ruling dismissing a lawsuit filed by the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot by an Ohio police officer says the man's civil rights were not violated
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein speaks during a news conference at the Department of Justice, Friday, July 13, 2018, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Trump faults Obama for US response to Russian hacking
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices